It’s a nice day today. Not too hot. Not too cold. No wind. I think it is a good day to work on my goal number one – fixing up my front garden and lawn.
I think today I will start on the lawn. It’s a quick win and I can knock the whole project off in one morning. (or maybe a day and a half because I’m now distracted and blogging.)
I have already given the lawn a good raking (yay me!)
Still to do:
- Buy and apply spring lawn fertilizer
- Buy some good soil additive such as triple mix to dress lawn where no grass grows now
- Buy and apply an over seeding of grass seed
OK …. I’m off to the garden centre.
Maybe while I’m there, I should pick up some soil improvement stuff for the front bed. I won’t put those in today (maybe tomorrow) but at least they will be on site and ready to go.
- Couple of bags of peat moss – (the soil is so sandy here. It needs something to retain moisture)
- Couple of bags of triple mix or some sort of soil enrichment additive (again – with sandy soil the nutrients are quickly flushed away when it rains. You must add in compost and oxygen and try to change the structure)
- Couple of bags of sheep manure – (someone told me once sheep is better than cow. I have no idea if this is correct. Does anyone know for sure?)
This is a picture of my house now since we pulled out the old over-grown foundation plants. (Gross, I know)
I particularly hate the rail way ties that run stiffly out straight from the porch to the road, flanking the front walk. I hate stiff boxed in beds. I would like to pull those ties out (eventually), but I think it is best to wait and see what plants come up – then transplant them to a new home – then remove the garden and re-sod.
Oh dear, where has the day gone. I must get off this thing and get to work…….. Off to the gardening centre!!!! weeeeeee……